Lost Places Wien ?

• Hey JasonRoy,

turn off your phone, throw away your city-map and it will be easy for you to get lost¹.

If you can't afford a professional location scouting service then why should photographers or urban explorers give their hard earned locations to you in a rush? "Disrespectful" is the most polite word I can currently think of for your demeanour.

¹) pun intended
    • GRUBERND schrieb:

Hey JasonRoy,

turn off your phone, throw away your city-map and it will be easy for you to get lost¹.

If you can't afford a professional location scouting service then why should photographers or urban explorers give their hard earned locations to you in a rush? "Disrespectful" is the most polite word I can currently think of for your demeanour.

¹) pun intended
      There are people who are just straight, nothing wrong with this.
      He's got the option to ask, you have got the option not to answer, but strangely didn't choose to.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von everythingisfine ()

• Lost places are a very sensitive subject. There are a lot of reasons why they are not traded out in the open with everyone, but in the end it boils down to "trust" on a very high level. And while trust is definitely given and not earned, it is the respnsibility of the person who wants to be trusted to show a minimal level of respect and understanding towards the subject matter.

The difference between giving directions to a stranger for the Stephansdom or for a lost place in Vienna is the difference between "Excuse me, Sir, can you give me a cigarette, please?" and "Hey, can I borrow your credit card, like, right now!" ...

everythingisfine schrieb:

There are people who are just straight, nothing wrong with this.
      See, I am one of those straight people.
      You seem to be, too.

you have got the option not to answer, but strangely didn't choose to.
      "If you point your finger, three fingers are pointing back at you."

;)
    • GRUBERND schrieb:

you have got the option not to answer, but strangely didn't choose to.
      "If you point your finger, three fingers are pointing back at you."
      ;)
      I was totally aware of this when I wrote it, knowing that you have no valid base whatsoever to use it as argument for an answer, simply because I wasn't the one who started it :)

I was unaware that you are the judge here for who may ask which question in what way.
    • everythingisfine schrieb:

I was unaware that you are the judge here for who may ask which question in what way
      Me neither.

See, you may not like how I responded to someone who was asking for information that should not be traded publicly ¹ – in a very demanding way – while using an untraceable nickname, providing no further information on their person or on the what, where or why of that urgent request. But instead you chose to derail the topic and judge me for the way I handled the topic, hence the three-finger-reference.

You could have just jumped in with your knowledge about lost places and given your list of locations, both helping the thread opener and showing me the door.

¹) remember: the nature of lost places is that this kind of location is most often dangerous and/or somehow not totally legal to enter. You simply don't want to read about them in the newspaper the next day - or worse.
    • GRUBERND schrieb:

I was unaware that you are the judge here for who may ask which question in what way
      See, you may not like how I responded
      No, I‘m just trying to understand it. The question was simple and straight, it wasn‘t getting ‚personal‘ and therefore I could not detect anything offending in it. And in case it wasn‘t reasonable what he asked for (?) then to me the most obvious choice would be not to answer.
      Therefore, I‘m wondering what evoked the relatively strong answer, just out of my own curiosity. It‘s ok if you don‘t want to reveal the underlying reasons. When I have some time, I might think about it a little more (maybe my tripod can help me with that).
    • everythingisfine schrieb:

No, I‘m just trying to understand it. The question was simple and straight, it wasn‘t getting ‚personal‘ and therefore I could not detect anything offending in it. And in case it wasn‘t reasonable what he asked for (?) then to me the most obvious choice would be not to answer.
      Therefore, I‘m wondering what evoked the relatively strong answer, just out of my own curiosity. It‘s ok if you don‘t want to reveal the underlying reasons. When I have some time, I might think about it a little more (maybe my tripod can help me with that).
      You can borrow one of my tripods, if you feel the urge .. ;)

Anyway .. the problem that prompted my strong response goes something like this: unless a lost place is already a fully public tourist attractions – which takes the "lost" out of the name and transforms into a "place" – you should know what you are dealing with and how to behave. The thread opener did everything to convince me of the opposite.

Lost places can range from fully illegal to outright dangerous because of decay, chemicals, well anything that might happen and/or still be present in a place that has been abandoned for years or decades. It's not so different from going into nature. So from basic rules like "tell someone outside where you are going", safety & first aid equipment, personal protection gear, knowing how to traverse dangerous grounds, know what dangers might lie ahead at all .. those are all considerations that should go into any urbex, mountain, caving, etc expedition.

Of course you can be just young and strong and lucky, but then you do not ask for something like that as your first post in a photography forum. You go out and explore. That's how you learn and live or not, but you do not make others responsible for giving you vague directions.

Websearch tip: "urbex code"

8)

Registrieren oder Anmelden

Du musst auf fotografie.at angemeldet sein, um hier antworten zu können.

Registrieren

Hier kannst Du Dich neu registrieren - einfach und schnell!

Neu registrieren

Annmelden

Du bist schon Mitglied? Hier kannst Du Dich anmelden.

Anmelden